The Colonel Young Scholars Program is open to all active members of the National Society of Blackjacks, regardless of race, creed, national origin, color, age, religion, sex, disability, marital status, or sexual preference. Enrollment in the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps of the United States Army, Navy, or Air Force is not required.
Applicants for the Colonel Young Scholars Program must meet the following eligibility requirements:
1. Must have a letter of acceptance from a regionally accredited college or university. Applications from students who have not yet been accepted will be considered, but proof of enrollment is required before any payment is disbursed.
2. Be an academic senior at the time of the award.
3. Be an active member of the National Society of Blackjacks in good standing at the time of the award. Prospective members are eligible to apply for academic scholarships so long as their membership status is confirmed prior to the announcement of the award.
All scholarship applications are due to the Pershing Foundation’s Scholarship Committee by Wednesday, February 15, 2017. The committee will review each application in its entirety before making a decision on the award. Awards will be announced during the 2017 Pershing Rifles National Convention and Alumni Reunion. (Applicants are highly encouraged to be present at the time of the award, but attendance at the National Convention and Alumni Reunion is not mandatory, and will not disqualify applicants from being awarded a scholarship.)
The Pershing Foundation will award two scholarships to active Blackjacks in the amount of $1,000 each for the 2016 – 2017 Academic Year.
Points of Contact
If you have any questions or concerns about the 2016 – 2017 Colonel Young Scholars Program or the academic scholarships awarded through the program, please do not hesitate to contact us at Scholarships@PershingFoundation.org.
How to Apply
To make the application process as simple as possible, we created an online form where applicants can submit all of the documents necessary. To get started, click on the apply now image below or click here.
To apply for an academic scholarship under the Colonel Young Scholars Program, applicants must submit the following to the Pershing Foundation electronically through our online submission form.
1. Complete the Colonel Young Scholars Program Application Form (Online).
2. Submit a copy of the student’s high school transcripts. Applicants may should their transcripts online or through email, and may be unofficial copies so long as they are produced through the school’s own system of record.
3. Submit one Letter of Recommendation (LOR) from a high school advisor, faculty member, employer, or Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) cadre member. Note – it is highly recommended that applicants use their B/J Advisor to write their LOR. Letters can be submitted online, via email, or through the mail by either the applicant or the individual making the recommendation. Application letters sent via email should be sent to Scholarships@PershingFoundation.org
4. Submit a 1,200 to 1,500 word essay on the importance of leadership, and the traits you think are most important to have in a leader. Essays should be well thought out and include an introduction, supporting arguments, and conclusion. Primary and secondary sources should be cited using the appropriate citation guidelines outlined in the applicant’s own academic discipline (APA, CMS, MLA, etc.).